Certificate of No Impediment

If you are planning to get married abroad, the authorities of that country will request you to submit a Certificate of No Impediment. This document serves as a way of proving that there is no obstruction in allowing you to get married and also shows that there has been no objection to your proposed marriage.

The UK Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) is an official, government issued document. Evergration.com can not obtain these certificates on behalf of its clients as it must be applied for in person. Should you require a CNI, you can find more information on the matter on the UK government’s website.

United Kingdom passport
The United Kingdom passport

Who needs to apply for a Certificate of No Impediment?

Individuals that like in the UK and wish to get married abroad need to inform their local Registry office so that they can obtain a CNI. After notifying the Registry Office, noticed are placed and the document is issued within 28 days after submitting your application.

British nationals that live abroad who wish to get married outside of the United Kingdom might not be able to contact their local Registry Office. Instead, they might have to work through their nearest British Embassy, who processes the request on your behalf.

Keep in mind that your intended spouse affects the procedure of applying for a CNI. For example, if you are marrying an Irish National, you will need to obtain the CNI from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and not the Registry Office.

What information is detailed in the Certificate of No Impediment?

The CNI contains information for the bride and groom, which includes:

  • Names and surnames
  • Ages
  • Conditions to marry (for example single, previous marriage dissolved etc.)
  • Occupations
  • Place of residence
  • Period of residence at the address
  • The location where the marriage shall take place
  • Nationality & district of residence

As soon as you have obtained your CNI, it should be presented to the government body abroad that requested the document in the first place. Generally speaking, the certificate will also need to be authenticated with an Apostille Certification, but it remains your individual responsibility to check on the requirements before applying for an apostil.

In addition to the CNI, you might also need to produce other documents such as certified copies of your birth certificate and decree of divorce if you were previously married. It is essential to find out which documents you will be required to present abroad in order to get married. If any of the documents need to be apostilled, you should arrange this before travelling abroad.